@categorical_imp: Engineer, Okay. Author, Why?

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Engineer, Okay. Author, Why?

Okay, we have one more IITian author in this world. How fabulous! How fantastic! How absolutely uninteresting. Here's another fellow who worked his way into, and out of, one of India's premier institutions only to render his education a pointless waste of time. If these are the thoughts running through your head right now,  I don't blame you. If this isn't what you're thinking, then you're being irrational. I don't see any reason why boys who grew up saying they love the sciences should end up becoming men who want nothing to do with them.

This is the point when I should start cribbing about the 'system' and how it failed me. But I've done enough of that already, so I'll talk about how I failed the system instead. Much like everyone else. I shall unabashedly admit that I believe I can live a far more fulfilling life by letting my hobby define me, rather than what I chose for a career. It's probably because you can choose your hobby; not so much your career.

But I'd be deemed a heinous liar if I said "I'm over engineering." That's the thing with relationships - you never really get over them. So, at least some part of me will remain an engineer forever. There were reasons why I chose to become a Chemical Engineer, and I still believe in them. Firmly.

So why writing? Why try straddling two professions, one of which makes it difficult to comprehend Randall Monroe's jokes? I can tell you the same thing I tell everyone - that writing is the only thing that I truly love - but I feel like telling you the truth. It's about opinions. It's about saying things that matter in memorable ways. Can I do that? I don't know. But I'll try. You can judge.

The point of this endeavour isn't to make some "quick bucks on the side" selling entertaining fiction, but to say stuff worth saying. It doesn't matter if you hate me, because that would mean I still have a point. But the moment you feel indifferent about the things I say - that's the day I'll stop writing.

And in order to decide, here is where you go. "The Steadfast Tin Soldier?", out in stores in July 2013, will be listed on the website soon. I will keep you posted here and on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment